Skip to main content

Couple of Goodies from the Pantry

So, I'm trying to find some complementary items to enhance my main ingredient, Twitter. I'm thinking a heavy helping of Hootsuite and a dash of Canva for flavor. Let's take a look at a couple of the goodies from the Test Kitchen pantry. That's just my themed out slang for the Internet.

As best as I can gather, Hootsuite will be our preferred social media management tool. I'm sure we can squeeze out some sweet analytics but probably not all options while we're on the no-pay plan. And hey, it's not just for Twitter. This tool can manage multiple accounts across a variety of social networks. Cutting through millions of posts and accounts simply by entering search terms is immediately possible without a learning curve. See below as I track down a previously prepared tweet within a few minutes of setting up an account.


Canva, on the other hand, is just a treat. This graphic design web-based app will provide you with zero analytics (as far as I know) and will definitely not sway your marketing department with any data-driven decision making but it sure is fun prettying up your communications. Kind of like curb appeal for posts. As they say on their site, "it makes design simple for everyone". See below, as I communicate my slow approach to this week's activities with a fitting visual aid.


Comments

  1. Hootsuite is such a great tool! It is used by a lot by the guys on the 6th Floor in Bellamy (the FSU Emergency Management and Homeand Security program) when it comes to crowdsourced mapping during disasters, there are just so many functions to it! Hope you have a good time trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Very interesting application of Hootsuite. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I love Canva! It has been a go-to tool for my team at work when we need to whip out quick social media graphics, but don't necessarily have time to involve the graphic design team. I've found it to be incredibly intuitive and really quite fun to play around with! Love the snail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Bytes: 05

With all that we are gifted from the open resources community, how can we contribute and give back? Fortunately, Creative Commons has provided a tool that both serves the commons and is engaging enough for the end user to pony up. With this, the Web 2.0 Test Kitchen is taking a moment to praise CC and stock the commons with our own content. The List , is a Creative Commons developed application that allows users to snap some pics and directly upload. Under the GNU license, it’s a free program for all. You’ll just need a smartphone that meets the technical requirements. As soon as you install and open the app, you'll see the Creative Commons CC logotype. You're in! Once, the app opens you’ll be prompted as to the current needs of Creative Commons with a request for a specific type of subject matter. For example, “Creative Commons needs a picture of…”. You have the choice to accept, move to the next request, or hit "done". All items selected will fall un...

Meme Buffet

You’ve seen them all over your social media account feeds or maybe on some blogs. They’re images, animated gifs, videos and the content is viral.  Some can be funny, others offensive (or even brutally honest). In the Web 2.0 Test Kitchen, we’re looking at memes and customizing them for educational purposes. So, pile it on because it’s all you can eat at the meme buffet. You do realize by now, I have no friends. The message in a meme moves Internet fast. That’s like really fast, guys.  There is a specific weaponized meme employed among trolls, the image macro.  Unlike animated gifs and video, they’re static and have textual content overlaid on some ridiculous satirical image culled from the Web and pop culture zeitgeist. The content is based on pointing out an epic fail or reflecting the meme creator’s perspective. Its purpose is to efficiently communicate a message without any wordiness. In an effort to bring some educational context to using memes, I decided t...